[AT] Fluid flushing auto - OT

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Nov 21 15:32:51 PST 2009

carl gogol wrote:
> Just looking for opinions on fluid flushing.  Had my Impala serviced
> yesterday and the writer noted that it was approaching 30K miles and said
> that the recommended procedure for the tranny was to flush between 30 - 60 K
> miles.  This seemed normal to me and I told him I would do it sometime in
> the future - I'm thinking about 50 K miles.  When I picked up the car he
> also pushed me to have the brake fluid and powersteering fluids serviced at
> the same time.  Is this normal - worth doing - or just another way to
> generate cash for the dealer?  I have not seen this dealer push unnecessary
> services before - just a newrt  car thing or a good idea to do anyway?
> Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
> Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
> AC D14, 914H
> JD 5320 MFWD
> Kubota F-2400, B7300HST

Personally I don't like JUST flushing because you don't get out the crud
that sticks in the filter AND you can't look at the magnet to see if you
have any metal. I would rather drop the pan, clean it well, then install
a new filter and then flush. This way you get to look for any metal, get
a new filter and anything that is already out in the system went through
the old filter first anyway.

On brake fluid I like to change out mine every 3 years/30K miles. Brake
fluid should be CLEAR or VERY light amber. Dark fluid or fluid with
dusty looking powder in the bottom is contaminated with water/dirt/rust.
Brake fluid is designed to absorb water and prevent it from pooling and
causing trouble. BUT that moisture also creates rust in the system.
Flushing also should include a GOOD brake inspection, looking for pad
wear, sticking calipers, worn hoses, rusty lines, related damage.
Being in lovely NY, just down the road from a MAJOR salt mine and
knowing how NY is on the roads I consider the brake work more important
than the trans flush!!!

Power steering fluid on the other hand can wait till 50K without a problem.

HOWEVER I would probably go to a couple places and get prices then go
back to the dealer and see if they will match or beat the lowest price...

Also pull the recommended service intervals for that vehicle (post
year,and engine and I can look those up if you like) Or just look at the
OM...

--
Steve W.