[AT] Spam> OT: Hand threading steel pipe

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:46:41 PST 2009

Gary,

If you are using a "modern oil" rather than something you have had around, that could be the problem.  The old fashioned heavy black high sulfur cutting oil is not what it used to be due to environmental restrictions.  Active sulfur and chlorine are no longer acceptable and they were the main components for anti galling and extreme pressure years back.  Various blenders may use several substitutes in today's oil, and some work better than others for a given application.  If you know of a large plumbing supply or an oil blender in your area, check them for their recommendation.  They may even offer a quart or gallon as a free sample for you to try.  Ten percent or higher level of animal fat is not a bad thing to prevent tool loading and part galling.

God luck.
Charlie V.