[AT] Spam> OT: Hand threading steel pipe

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 19 18:29:05 PST 2009

 Being a machinist I agree with the comment about the quality of the pipe.
We encounter quality issues with all types of materials these days. When we
complain to the suppliers it is usually blamed on imported material or lack
of competition between the US companies processing metal.

 We keep some of the dark thread cutting oil on hand but rarely use it.
There is a product called Moly-Dee put out by Castrol that we use on hard to
tap materials or very coarse threads. Possibly it would work better but
can't guarantee it. We normally use it for tapping pipe threads, especially
in stainless.

Out of curiosity, are the cutters for your die US, European, or Japanese
made? Never seen any GOOD cutting tools from anywhere else.

John Hall