[AT] Tractor talk, Baling hay

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 27 09:07:54 PST 2009

I can't remember what model the baler was but it was bought in 1979 ,I
believe. We used standard NH shear pins--and a bunch of them at that! After
about 5 years they found some pieces inside that were left out at the
factory. The mechanic put them in and it would feed a lot better. The most
you could put out was 7 bales a minute. In a decent size field, so you
weren't turning around too often, you could bale about 1,000 bales of straw
in 3 hours. We found it was easier to drop it on the ground than to tow the
wagon. Of course when you ran a crew of  7-8 loading , hauling and packing
in the barn, you had to be productive!

 The 4020 dad has pulled that baler so much that the constant jerking on PTO
finally twisted the output shaft of the tractor in half. We saved it for a
conversation piece!

 By contrast I have a New Holland Super 66. You can't get quite 2 bales a
minute. You definitely drive that one by listening to how loud that
Wisconsin barks. You know to back off if you hear the belts squeal. I don't
think we have ever sheared over 2-3 bolts. Probably baled a total of 5-6000
bales with it. They did a great job of matching HP to the size of the
baler--enough to run it but not enough to hurt it.

John