[AT] A little Off Topic -amateur licenses

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 27 05:57:27 PST 2009

charliehill wrote:
> My main interest in amatuer radio is for emergency communications, most
> often hurricanes around here but you never know what the future might bring.
> I don't know enough at this point to decide what kind of equipment I
> want/need.  I'm interested in local comms and in being able to talk to "the
> outside world" also in case of emergency.

Briefly.  To talk on the local repeaters (most are in the 4 meter band)
all you need is a Technician Class License.  License is easy to get,
test is mostly on safety, rules, and operating.  To get on the world
wide bands the tech class will allow you a little code space on 10
meters but for the other bands you need at least a General class license.

The General class test is a little more difficult with more technical
questions but it is not that hard if you have a basic understanding of
electronics and RF behavior. There is no longer a code requirement for
any US FCC amateur license class.

The Extra class is a much more technical test requireing a rather more
indepth knowledge of electronics and RF.  All tests are from a fixed
pool of questions and the questions and answers are available.  Good
sources are the ARRL and Gorden West books plus practice tests all over
the web.

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU