[AT] Salting roads (was Re: Trans. fluid

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Nov 25 09:59:23 PST 2009

I am guessing that is the same stuff that is called "Rim Guard", used
for ballast in tires instead of water or CaCl. <http://www.rimguard.biz/>

"Rim Guard™ is formulated from a byproduct of sugar beet processing so
it comes from the American farm and goes back to the American farm."

I suspect that it isn't what most folks think of as "molasses" but a
clear liquid with enough molasses residue to keep it from freezing. I
would be interested in finding out more about the stuff, and I may
contact the state to see if they can provide more information.
Unfortunately, there are no Rim Guard suppliers in my area. I am also
guessing that it is pretty expensive (compared to liquid calcium).

Mike