[AT] Spam> RE: Spam> OT: Hand threading steel pipe

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 05:34:10 PST 2009

> I had the same problem with 2" black pipe and I was using the dark
> cutting oil.  I switched to Rigid cutting oil and the threads have come
> out perfect ever since.
> Kent

I can relate to this statement.  In my working life, I always purchased custom blended cutting oils for our single spindle Swiss screw machines.  I had years worth of track record of what it took to keep both quality and production up to good levels.

On a few occasions our parent plant woulld decide we should the "oil of the week" that they were using on their multi-spindle machines.  By around 1992, the major oil companies had reduced their cutting oil line to about five products (cost cutting for them).  Customers were supposed to fit into one or two of the five.  Not only were their products more expensive, but they never worked well for us. Getting back to the point, the main plant sent me a drum of a Sun product with orders to try it.  If it worked in their machines, it wold have to work in ours.

At the time we happened to be running a very precision stainless steel bleed type screw with 1/4 degree total tolerance on the taper angle and .0003" on the taper taper diameter with 16 max. RMS suface finish.  I instructed the operator to clean the sump and put in the "new" cutting oil.  After running two 12 foot bars of stock through the machine, the operator came to me very upset because the parts were junk and now he would have to resharpen all of the tools. I had him leave me sample parts and reclean the sump and put our oil back in without any tool sharpening.  In about 1/2 hour the operator was back, and he was happy.  Part quality was back, and no tools were sharpened at that time.

Offering this information to the main plant with the sample parts pretty much ended that particular conversation.

Charlie V.