[AT] JD 214 WS timing problems

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Thu Nov 19 06:19:12 PST 2009

Actually the needles clear the plunger, not really the other way
around. The plunger is at full stroke compressing the hay in the
chamber. The needles pass up through the slots in the plunger to lay
the twine/wire into the knotter. The knotter assembly wraps the knot
and cuts the twine/wire. Then the needles retract and the plunger
rescinds. As the hay leaves the bale chamber it expands from it's
compressed state and causes the knots (in twine) to tighten.

The stop that is being hit by the plunger is there in case the
needles move from their parked position before the full stroke on the
plunger. Otherwise the compressed  hay would likely bind or break the
needles. The needles never really touch the hay, they merely are the
transport to get the bottom side twine/wire passed up to the knotters.

Funny how intimate you get with the workings of these thing when they
don't want to cooperate.

Brad