[Ford-ferguson] Ferguson PTO Belt Pulley

Jim Peck @Yahoo jamesgpeck at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 17:41:02 PDT 2009

I remember the one my dad had as having an organic texture finish to the pulley outer surface rather than a metallic surface. That could vary. My point is, I believe the antique tractor magazines have ads from people/companies that rebuild paper pulleys. I believe they cut individual pieces of paper and stack them to form the drum belt drive surface.

[ewatness at comcast.net]I would VERY much like to have a copy of that. I have 2 belt pulleys with one working much better than the other.  I will likely rebuild the one but I have no idea where to find parts if they are available at all. I am still looking for a replacement metal pulley or drum or whatever it is called. The diagram will help me with that too I imagine; Please mail a copy to me at Eric Watness, 1509 10th West, Seattle, WA 98110 my email is ewatness at comcast.net . I am happy to pay for copying costs as well. Thank you!

[cwi813 at mchsi.com ]With regard to message 3 below:

I have a reprint of the "Ford Tractor - Ferguson System - Service Manual for Owners and Mechanics," published by Harry Ferguson, Inc., Dearborn, MI in 1943.

On pages 58 and 59 you'll find a nice verbal description as well as an exploded diagram to show how to move belt from left to right for the PTO to provide you different functions.  " Belt Pulley    The belt pulley can be attached quickly to the rear of the tractor after removing the power take-off shaft cap and check chain brackets. It is a self-contained drive with a 9" diameter and a 6.5" width pulley. Its speed is 1358 R.P.M. The pulley gear ratio to power take-off shaft is 1.87 to 1. Rotation in either direction can be had by mounting the belt pulley to the left or to the right of the center of the tractor, or it can be mounted with the pulley toward the ground. The latter position is often used when driving an irrigation pump.

The belt pulley contains its own reservoir of oil, and should be kept filled to the high level plug with the same lubricant that is used in the transmission and differential.

Figure 155 shows the belt pulley parts. When it is necessary to overhaul the belt pulley, make sure the new gaskets are used; see that the bearings fit perfectly, and that the bolts and nuts are securely tightened."

I tried to send the exploded diagram to you as an attachment, but the byte size of the scan is too large to send. I'd be happy to mail it to you if anyone wants it, just give me your name and street address.  It's a big, clear diagram and all parts are numbered according to the original part, so it's easy to see and read.

Cynthia Wilhelmi
West Des Moines, IA
cwi813 at mchsi.com

[Jim Peck]I got a tip about David Brown creating an optional PTO/Belt pulley for the Ferguson-Brown Model A over the opposition of Harry. This link shows the right side pulley. "Optional equipment included power take off, side mounted belt pulley"

http://www.tractordata.co.uk/david_brown/pages/ferguson_brown/index.htm

Was the tractor sold as a Model A or Type A?

I would love to have a picture of the PTO.