[AT] 98 Dodge 3500

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri May 22 18:08:38 PDT 2009

oldiron62 at gmail.com wrote:
>  First off I want to thank everyone for their help . Second I will try not
> to get smashed in under this :-)
> Ok I bought this thing in as is dead on arrival condition, clear tax paid
> only clear title.
> Not tagged or insured for the road, until I can find out the problem it will
> stay this way. If it was tagged I would just run by the autoparts store in
> reverse, see what the reader come up with.
> I just thought that it runs too good in P + R for their to be much wrong.
> This is where I ask yall thinking that someone has seen this before ?
> It could be anything but probably electronic.
> Kevin.
> Doug, I can not see any wires in contact with the shift linkage when I was
> under it.
> Shift linkage hitting or pulling a wire harness?? If it was between rev
> and drive, I'd maybe think engine twist causing something but there
> isn't much difference between park and neutral except shifter position.
> It may be real obvious with a scan tool, anything else is just a guess.
> Doug T
>
> Is the Check Engine Light on?
> Steve O.
> Yes but only when in N or drive123, not on in reverse or Park. Also
> sometimes a Check Gauges light comes on in N and foreward.  While the engine
> is struggling to keep on turning itself. Idles same as WOT and runs the
> same, go back to park, r and engine straightens up instantly. Would a vacuum
> leak only occour in N or D123, and not in P or R ?
> Kevin.

Kevin, Where are you located? (state, closest city is enough) I am more
than willing to bring over my scan tool and assist.

Also most auto parts places will rent scan (and specialty) tools.
Procedures differ but what many do is charge you full price for the
tool, then when you return it they refund the money. Others charge a
rental fee and take a credit card number in case you don't return the tool.

--
Steve Williams