[AT] 98 Dodge 3500

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri May 22 11:29:12 PDT 2009

Stephen Offiler wrote:
> HL:  thanks for the safety reminders.  Unfortunately I assumed that
> any enthusiast of old iron already has those bases covered.  One
> should never assume.'
>
> Steve W:  I was hoping you'd chime in, thanks!  Hope Kevin takes your
> good advice.  The last time scan tools were mentioned here, it became
> clear that some of us old iron guys don't have a lot of patience with
> the newer technologies... but it is, what it is.  Does he have to buy
> a whole new CPS in order to clean up that connection?
>
> Good luck to  Kevin.
>
> Steve O.

The problem with the Packard style connections is that they appear to be
very secure. In reality there are quite a few that look great but the
backside of the connector doesn't seal and they get water/air in them.
Then they corrode and you get intermittent connections. Another problem
is if the wire insulation gets nicked, water will wick through the wire
into the connector with the same result.

Scan tools are a great help BUT only if you have kept up to date and
know what it is your looking at in the first place. Sort of like handing
 someone a voltmeter and telling them to see if the alternator is working.
If they don't know that they need to measure the voltage with the engine
running you get the wrong answer.

The CPS on the Dodges vary, some have the connector on the CPS itself,
Others have a 6" pigtail with the connector on it. There are also at
least three different connection configurations as well.

Steve W.