[AT] 98 Dodge 3500

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu May 21 16:38:53 PDT 2009

oldiron62 at gmail.com wrote:
> I picked up a 98 Dodge 1 ton truck the other day 360 gas engine. This
> thing runs fine in park and reverse, but shift to N or drive and it
> is over. I mean this thing runs so bad that it will not move its self
> except in reverse, misses sputters. I got this with the intention of
> using it as a tractor hauler tow vehicle. Yall have any idea what is
> going on here ?

Check the wiring harness connection for the crankshaft position sensor.
It is at the back of the engine in the bell housing just about in line
with the fire wall. It can cause this type of problem when the contacts
get corroded.

The easy way is to watch the signal on a good scan tool. The hard way is
to buy a new one, clean the connection and swap for the new one.

--
Steve Williams