[AT] Dodge Dually

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 18:30:30 PDT 2009

Ken,

I upgraded to a 97 Dodge 350 dually a few years ago. Before I had a 96 1/2 ton for a while. Normally I prefer GM product, but have been well pleased with the Ram 350. It has about 250,000 miles, but I got it for aroun 4K. It has a gooseneck hitch. I also have a gooseneck "auto hauler" style 22 foot trailer that works very well with it. The only problem is that the "auto hauler style limit the width of what you haul between the fender wells.
I had to change the manual transmission, because when I purchased it, it was almost worn out. It also has a fuel kill solinoid that is failing and needs to change. I had to change the starter once during a cold winter storm when I had it at our place in Oklahoma. It needs a new front oil seal because it is leaking oil as bad as a Detroit 2 cycle, but I am waiting until I get the floor painted in my new toy shed before I tear it down and fix it.
The 96 had a problem with heater cores. I failed 3 of them in about 4 years. This was driven vary little, because I got it just before I moved to Russia. I used it to pull trailers and move stuff, and also used it when I returned to the US on vacation from Russia. About the time I moved back to the US, I upgraded to the dually. The other weak area on these are the dash cover. These break apart, especially when you have to remove this to change heater core.
If I needed another dually, I would look at these again. The 97 units are the last of the 12 valve units that are all mechanical. I have heard that some 98's have a 24 valve and mechanical controls, and that all later ones are a drive by wire control.
Good luck.
Dennis