[AT] All smoke, but no fire

william.neff.powell at comcast.net william.neff.powell at comcast.net
Mon May 4 11:33:10 PDT 2009

My old Allis Dozer HD6G won't initially start without ether. It came out of the factory with an ether dispenser that would hold canisters about the size of a pill bottle. No glow plugs back then so I guess ether was the only way. Are you holding the throttle wide open? I remember a post a few years ago where a guy bought a dozer offsite, repaired the pony motor and tried starting the diesel, just white smoke for a long time until he put the throttle off of idle and it fired up...

Sometimes if its over 90 my dozer may start without the ether... Of course as a previous poster said, just use a little bit, that's all it takes.

When I have trouble starting gas engines I squirt motor oil down the spark plug hole, that builds the compression and usually starts them right up when ether won't work. But with a diesel it may be diffucult to put some oil in.... I guess if your squirting diesel in with the injector that should bring the compression up? Not as thick as motor oil though...

Regards,

Will Powell