[AT] historical documents Re: OT--taped audio to CD audio??

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Mar 30 12:35:16 PDT 2009

When anyone finds material like this they should consider donating it to the local historical socity - after labeling as much of it as can be recognized.  Obviously some is too personal even 100 years latter, and some is not of interest.  However they can often better preserve things than you can, and more importantly researchers who are interest will find them.

It goes without saying that you make copies for your personal use first.  One advantage of digital is copes are dirt cheap.  No more fighting over who gets the pictures (or who has to store something you all agree shouldn't be lost but nobody wants taking up space), everyone has a digital copy for when they want it, and the musiem has a copy for historical interest.

Documents like this are a part of collecting.

Larry Goss <rlgoss at insightbb.com> wrote:

>The involvement with photography goes back several generations in my family, Chuck.  My grandmother had her own photo lab in the basement of the farm house when my father was born in 1903.  She started taking Kodachrome slides prior to WWII and focused on farming activities on the homestead with the east range and foothills of the Rockies in the background.  Nice stuff!  They document a combination of horse-drawn and mechanized farming at the eastern end of the flood irrigation region along the St. Vrain River.  I WILL dig them out and make them available -- when I get caught up on tractor repair.  :-)
>
>A cousin in Colorado has gone through the images again and again with me to identify and date as many of them as we can.
>
>My mother did her own photo processing in Boulder during the 1920's.  She was an accountant/clerk at Greenman's Bookstore in downtown Boulder.  Among other things, she did film processing and printing for the store in its own darkroom.  She had a flair for the artistic, and some of her shots are really outstanding.
>
>Another cousin gave us the life-long collection of roll film negatives that she had accumulated (over 500).  They were stuffed in a paper grocery bag.  Most are simply family occasions, but among the images are shots of the P-80 "Shooting Star" when it was at the San Diego airbase at the end of WWII.
>
>Larry

Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.