[AT] Spam> Re: OT--taped audio to CD audio??

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 29 21:14:59 PDT 2009

On Mar 29, 2009, at 6:50 PM, David Bruce wrote:

> Larry,
>
> Digital archiving 101 might be off topic but I'm listening.
>
> I have already moved to archiving much of my monthly correspondence
> (bills, receipts, etc) to digital form for ease of retrieval.

One of my former co-workers at NIST (formerly National Bureau of
Standards) had been the microfilm expert there.  That is, he knew the
Archivist of the United States by first name, and had spend his career
studying and improving microfilm image storage science and practice.
His conclusion after a life of working with archives was this
(paraphrased by me):

If you want ease of use and practical daily application, go digital.
Nothing better.  But don't count on any record to last for long.

If you really want to archive something, microfilm is the only
answer.  Period.

His frame of reference for archiving was "in perpetuity".  That is
nearly forever.

If you are storing your financial records and tax things, do keep in
mind the regulations demand that you only keep 5 or 7 years of stuff
(or something like that).  If you are interested in family
photographs, do ask yourself how long anyone might be interested in
Aunt Matilda's 90th birthday party pictures.  If you want to preserve
Uncle Henry's WW-I military record for 10 generations, either do NOT
put it on CD, or be prepared for continuous data migration.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.