[AT] Good global warming tractor day

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Mar 5 16:37:00 PST 2009

Charlie-
I no longer have working speakers on my now antique computer to listen to
the clip - but I will forward it to work and listen on Monday.

Yes, "feel" is the operative word because I do not pretend to know how large
the effect of extra carbon is compared to all the other effects that could
effect global energy balance.  It is, however, about the only lever we have
any control over.  We can't stop volcanos, sunspots or continental drift.
We really are just beginning to learn the overall senitivity of the earth's
temperature system and the massive melting of the polar caps may just be the
beginning of the inevitable cycle.  I don't think anyone currently knows how
to precisely predict all the effects of another 100 ppm of CO2 over the next
100 years.  We also do not reliably know how close the system is to tippping
into unbearable global warming or if that is even a possibility.

We have clear historical evidence of continental drift shutting down the
flow of energy from the equator to the poles by the ocean's currents and
this has caused the planet to enter extreme ice ages for millions of years,
reversed only by massive volcanos and the continents eventually drifting
apart to restablish the ocean's currents.

Keep in mind that scientific opinion is also for sale.  About 3 years ago
the scientific community was virtually unanimous that global warming was
fact and indisputable.  It is not impossible that big business would hire
scientists to confuse the issue of global warming because carbon offsets and
reductions are much more expensive than a few dozen scientist's opinions are
to buy.  This worked well in the past for tobacco and pharmacuticals among
others.

I know certain atmospheric gasses can reflect heat to earth and the levels
of those gasses are hisotically high right now.  I can safely say that the
earth's temperature will rise to some degree because of this.  I do not
prtend to know how much or if it is even significant compared to all of the
other things that can effect temperature like cutting down the Amazon
forest.
Respectfully submitted for thought only
Carl