[AT] Good global warming tractor day

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 17:02:21 PST 2009

When I was in grade school I remember the science texts talked about the
city of NY hauling their garbage out to sea and just dumping it.  A picture
of ag arbage filled barge was included for emphasis.  I was rather offended
by that because even those of us that lived in rural backwoods upstate NY
knew that the right thing to do was to take it to the dump and burn it so
there wouldn't be any pollution!  I guess another 50 years of prospective is
a good thing.  We don't know everything today, but we know that since the
industrial age began carbon dioxide (CO2) levels have increased dramatically
after being somewhat constant for centuries before steam engines and
internal combustion engines were common place.  We know this because of our
ability to drill deep and take old ice samples from the rapidly melting
polar regions and measure the relative concentration of disolved CO2 over
these very long periods of time.  We also know that it takes huge amounts of
energy to change ice into liquid water (heat of fusion) - how fast will
global temperature change after there are no more polar ice caps to melt
compared to now?  The earth is a very complex system and has become
uninhabited before and probably will again, someday.  We hope that there
will be no super volcanoes to spew out even huger quantites of CO2 to add to
the atmosphere.  We know that CO2 does tend to hold the earth's heat in, as
does methane and some other natural and manmade chemicals.  More of them
will unquestionably have an increasing effect on temperature and further
disturb the current energy balance.  I don't know if we will ever know when
the point of no return is reached in all of this. Some models say that it is
already too late - I don't know. I suspect that most of us will be gone
before the final chapter and answer page is written in this story.  I just
don't understand the attitude that humans and their machines couldn't make a
difference.  After all, the rivers and the seas are so large (in effect
infinite) that we could never effect them with our chemicals and trash!  Yet
we did pollute them in only part of my lifetime.  I do not want to give up
my carbon eating tractors or for that matter my personel transportation
device or heat in the living room.   is just another wonderful ability of
humans to deny what is clearly in front of them.
Sorry, just wanted to share and don't particulary want to start a flame war.
I just feel that there is overwhelming evidence that humans have had an
impact above and beyond the natural cycle of things and that their combined
efforts will make a difference either positive or negative.  I now need to
watch the Daily Show to get some insight on the news of the week.
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST
Simplicity 7116H