[AT] sawmill was: tractor day

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:30:31 PST 2009

On 3/4/09, Don  Bowen <don.bowen at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Only the new sawmill (still not assembled) is in the way
>> keeping me from getting my old red Ford pickup in to install new front
>> brakes.
>
> What mill did you buy?
>
> Don Bowen  KI6DIU
=====================================

Hi Don:
I bought the smallest Wood-mizer. a model LT-10. I bought the
Wood-mizer for several reasons. First it is kind of the John Deere of
bandsaw mills. I may want to sell it in a few years and it should
resell better than most.
I also figured that in this shaky economy they had hopefully a better
chance than most of staying in business.
Wood-mizer makes their own blades. As I looked at other mills many of
them bragged that they came with those "great Wood-mizer blades". I
figured if they were so good that the competition was bragging about
them then maybe the saw was better too.
I have been watching them for a long time going back to a few years
after they started. I had looked at them at the Indiana state fair
this year and was very impressed with their construction and quality.
I also like that their world headquarters is 30 miles north east of
here in Indy and one plant is only about 30 miles south east of me.
I wanted something smallish and simple because this time I will only
be sawing for me. I owned a large bandsaw mill years ago which was
made right here in my county by an old friend of my father and I
(Kasco Manufacturing Company). I was really pleased with that one but
I don't need anything that large, fast or complex (or $$$$). Back then
I was doing custom milling and some light mill-work. Back then with
that mill I could saw a log 24' long and 30" in diameter. With the new
saw I can cut a log 16' long by about 24" in diameter.
This Wood-mizer shows great design and finish of construction while
some of the ones I looked at appeared to have been built by "Bubba's
scrap yard and tree choppers".
I'll let you know how it works fairly soon.

--
"farmer"

"Good clean muck never hurt nobody!!!"
Morris Moulterd

Hay and Straw Exchange (Buy it, sell it and trade it.)