[AT] Row Crop

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 06:51:05 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Gene Dotson<gdotsly at watchtv.net> wrote:
>    Dick;
>    A row crop tractor can be a narrow or wide front wheel configuration.
> What makes it a row crop is that the front and rear wheel spacing can be
> changed on the axles to match row width for crops planted in rows for
> cultivation, fertilizer and other jobes where the tractor needs to run
> between the rows.
>    A utility, standard and western tractor normally has a fixed wheel
> width.
>
>                    Gene
===============================

That was always my definition. Even that line blurred out a little in
the mid 1950's. Two that I am thinking of were the IHC 300 Utility
series and the Oliver Super 55 series. I suppose they were others even
back in the earlier years. I recall the term "utility row-crop" being
tossed around. Some didn't consider the Fords and Fergusons to be
row-crop tractors but they were. I can't remember any of the orchard
models of any brand that were row-crop.
Gene's use of the word "normally" is always a safe hedge in such
discussions.  :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson