[AT] McCormick W-4 adventures

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 7 17:21:09 PDT 2009

On Jun 7, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Ralph Goff wrote:
>> The fuel leakage problem seems to have solved itself.  This does not
>> surprise me, and I'll also not be surprised if it comes back!
>>
>> Roy

Well, it is leaking again!

> Roy, you might be able to get a new sediment bowl gasket at a John
> Deere
> dealer ... took the old gasket in...Plus, it was
> neoprene rubber instead of cork

Ralph,

That is a fine idea.  I did get a gasket and screen kit at TSC the
other day.  The gasket is likely to fit, and It likely will fit.  It
is cork, and the neoprene idea sounds better!  I can go to the IHC
dealer nearby to see what they have.  They have at least two people
who do nothing but parts, and my impression is that they'd have a way
bigger stock of parts.

I may wind up getting a whole new sediment bowl assembly, bowl,
fittings, shutoff valve and all.  They seem to have them at TSC for
around $30. The dealer may have them for less.

The OTHER adventure is the PTO:  My tractor does not have a live PTO,
so I got a one way clutch adapter.  I could not fit it onto the PTO
shaft but half an inch before it stuck. I had wire brushed the shaft,
and thought it was clean and good.  But half an hour with a file today
removed what must have been a a fine layer of rust or corrosion that
had wire-brushed up to a very fine smooth finish.  Now, the  adapter
(made in Chin, by the way) slips on smoothly till the shaft bottoms
out.  Just the way it should do.

My only worry now is whether or not the roll pin holes will line up
properly.  A rough esitmate of the hole locations tells me I'm close.
I do not want to have to grind an eighth of an inch of the end of the
shaft!  (I have tested the male end of the adapter in the brush hog
shaft that it has to work with, and that fits right.

I checked the oil in the brush hog gear box, satisfied myself that the
blades are sharp enough, and generally oiled most everything that
moves or was rusting.  So now when the rain stops, I can hook it all
up and start to learn how to run it.

In the meantime I can solve the gas leak problem one way or another.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.