[AT] Case 380CK brakes

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 6 15:16:44 PDT 2009

I will be redoing the brakes on a Case 380CK backhoe.  They were rebuilt
several years ago but the seals leaked and now they are badly oil soaked
again.  I have several questions.

Is there a way to clean the friction surfaces, and if not where can I get
new material.

Does anyone know where the brakes can be rebuilt in the Ozarks?
Springfield, West Plains, Mountain Home, etc.

Is there any good way to get the seals over the splined shafts without
destroying the seals?

The brakes are an oddball form of disk brakes.  The disks are on splined
shafts that come off the differential.   They reside inside a housing and
the friction material presses against the sides of the housing.  A seal
keeps oil out of the housing.  The disks are really two cups with friction
material on the outside, separated by balls on ramps, and held together with
springs.  A brake band wraps around the outer cup.  When the band is
tightened the outer cup is slowed and the cups are forced apart as the balls
ride up the ramps forcing the friction material against the sides of the
housing.

Here is a picture of the brakes from two years ago.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/July%2006/images/brake%20par
ts.jpg

Don Bowen  KI6DIU

New ruralize pages, follow the link off http://www.ruralize.com