[AT] OT(?) Cub Cadet 1812 Hydro question now engines

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Thu Jun 4 20:34:11 PDT 2009

Grasshopper mowers have used the horizontal Briggs engines for years and
they seem to work well. The one I have starts and runs like a champ.  Knock
on wood 8>)...

H. L.

On 6/4/2009 10:16:59 PM, John Wilkens (jwilkens at eoni.com) wrote: > Guess we need to find a manufacturer that uses Honda engines! John > > > At 02:51 PM 06/04/2009, you wrote: > >Look carefully at the new Kohler engines, too, John. Steer clear of > >the COURAGE engines from Kohler. > It's one thing to have plastic > >external parts on an engine, but IMHO putting plastic internal parts > >in one is carrying things too far. I'm > not talking about things > >like the governor gear, but rather the camshaft! > > > >To my knowledge, there > isn't a single manufacturer currently using > >any sealer on mower tires. So I bought a quart of it at Harbor > >Freight a number of years ago and routinely break the seal on any > >flat tire and apply sealer before returning it as "fixed". If I > >didn't > do that, I would be deluged with return business to air up > >the same tires over and over. > > > >Larry > > > > > >----- Original Message ----- > >From: John Wilkens <jwilkens at eoni.com> > >Date: Thursday, June 4, 2009 14:08 > >Subject: Re: [AT] OT(?) Cub Cadet 1812 Hydro question > >To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor. > com> > > > > > Steve, after using our zero-turn Cub Cadet for several years my > > > wife > > > and I > wouldn't consider anything but a zero-turn machine--even > > > if > > > they are a little more expensive! We have to mow around a > > > lot of > > > trees and other obstructions and this mower is effortless to > > > steer > > > (two fingers) and about as fast as you'd > ever want to go. > > > Still, I > > > wish we had purchased a Toro in stead of the MTD-made Cub > > > Cadet. Look > 'em over real close. The concept is > > > great but the > > > engineers that designed the overall Cub Cadet machine must have > > > been > > > in a big hurry. The Cub has a Briggs engine :(