[AT] McCormick W-4 adventures

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Thu Jun 4 20:28:58 PDT 2009

Most likely there is a roll pin that has to be removed so that it will slide
on and the pin has to be installed through a hole in the pto shaft.  This
roll pin will be retained by set screws you take out to remove the pin.

Perhaps with the above explanation you will not be anymore confused than you
are now.

H. L.

On 6/4/2009 10:00:26 PM, Roy Morgan (k1lky at earthlink.net) wrote: > The > '51 McCormick W-4 got my attention for most of the day today. It > had showed low oil pressure last Fall, and there is a LOT to do to the > thing. I was very pleased that it started right up on the first try, > and the oil pressure seems fine. > > I changed the oil and filter and there I ran into a problem. The old > filter cover gasket was still in the housing,and would not come out. > I had to make a scraper tool from a bit of steel. I'd > collected a > couple of the "brush" pieces from street sweepers: about 1/8 inch wide > and made of spring steel. I put a single tooth on the end of a short > piece with the bench grinder and held it in a small vice grip. Lots of > work later, I had the old hard, dried up gasket all scraped out. Now > the new one that came with the filter would seat correctly, and > hopefully cure at least one of the leaks this old work horse has. > > Maybe I should have left well enough alone, but I took off the fuel > sediment bowl to clean the 1/8 inch of crud in the bottom. Now the > fuel leaks around the gasket for the bowl. > I'd had problems getting > it to shut off last year, with fuel dripping from the carburetor after > I'd > hand tightened the shut off valve. So, > I'm searching for a > replacement assembly. These guys seem to sell the whole assembly for > $20. > http://www.tractorpart.com/ > Seems like a bargain for shutoff valve, bowl, bowl clamp and all. > Does that seem reasonable? > > I tried the CASE IH web site and started a parts search but got > nowhere. Apparently their search engine does not know about Model W-4 > or M. > > I cleaned off the PTO shaft and it looks like new. Apparently there > has been no rust and no use on the thing. I tried to fit the > freewheel clutch adapter I got at TSC but it won't > slide on farther > than about 5/8 of an in