[AJD] Starting Trouble 51-B

Paul Sawyer mustangpaul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:50:14 PDT 2009

Hi all--

Got my tractor the other day.  It started up, chugged off the trailer and
happily all over the yard.  Stopped and started it several times with no
trouble.  I put it up and now she won't start.  Catches
occasionally-CHUG-but that's it.  Eventually, she blows a bit of white smoke
which tells me, I think, she's flooded out.

I recharged the battery.  (It was converted to 12 volt and the battery is
about a year old--Interstate.)
I'm heading out now to get new plugs.  The old ones are pretty oily/black.
I've got lights so I'm getting power.
Fuel switch is on and I have good, new gas.
Throttle is between 1/3 and 1/2.
Choke or no choke doesn't seem to make a difference.

The tractor was restored about 8 years ago, but sat most of the time since
then.  Always started--it's just me she's being difficult to.

I'm told that there is no dumb question--only dumb people who ask them, so I
declare myself dumb!

Any ideas?  I've got a line of neighborhood kids who want rides!  8)

--P