[AT] old Kubota

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Jul 14 11:14:13 PDT 2009

Larry Dotson wrote:
> About 1983 John Deere made a contract with Yanmar to have them build the
> compact diesel line for them. This contract forbid Yanmar from importing
> their own line into the US. The volumes were so hugh that Yanmar agreed and
> were no longer available here. about 2 or 3 years ago the contract expired
> and some John Deere's used other brands of diesels. I did see one with A
> Kubota diesel, but at the same time there was another diesel used but I
> can't remember what make it was. My older brother was a Yanmar dealer untill
> they quit importing into the US. Kubota is the largest diesel producer in
> the word with Yanmar in second place. Both make excellent products.
>
> Larry Dotson

Cub Cadet compacts were mainly Mitsubishi built. Then Mitsu realized how
much they were losing in the US and contacted Mahindra. Mahindra signed
a contract with Mitsubishi which basically allowed Mitsu to put decals
on the tractors and paint them red. Now they were sold in the US as
Mahindras.
This worked right up until the Yanmar contract with JD expired. Then MTD
went to Yanmar and asked them to build ALL the compact tractors for them
That is why the new line of Cub Cadet/Yanmar tractors exist.

As far as JD, NONE of the compact diesels they sell are US made. They
were all Yanmar built right up until the contract expired.

The lawn and garden diesels over the years used Yanmar, Kubota,
Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Iseki, Shibaura, Hinomoto engines or even complete
units made to domestic specifications.

http://www.compacttractorreview.com/articles/Compact-Tractor-Companies.aspx
http://www.stormer-tractors.com/products.htm

--