[AT] MF 265 and brush hog question

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 9 10:27:20 PDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 9:25 AM, charliehill wrote:
...  Does anyone have an opinion of what
> the lift and pto on a MF265 is capable of?  Is this single spindle
> 8' hog
> too much for it?

Charlie,

I recently got a 6 foot King Kutter brush cutter pull behind for use
on my '51 IHC W-4 tractor.  It's the next size up than the one
recommended for my tractor, but:

- If I don't cut much actual BRUSH, it works fine.  A multiple trunk
field bush with stems less than an inch can drag the thing down but it
manages it.  Two such bushes at once would stall it
- If I run into tall tough grass/reeds, I need to take a partial cut,
half or less of full width
- for weeds (Goldenrod, milkweed, and such) it does a fine job
- in first and second gear I can go up any slope here (all are
moderate) but in 3rd gear, it slows down uphill and cutting thick weeds.

My tractor is rated at about 30 hp, and is very old, so if the MF265
is more powerful (likely, yes?) the things I ran into may occur with
you and the wider cutter, but a bit extra horsepower goes a long way.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net
529 Cobb St.