[Ford-ferguson] More 8N questions

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:41:54 PDT 2009

Hi Dave:
I really like to change my own tractor rears. Well, let me rephrase
that... I can stand to change my own, I hate to change my own tractor
rears, I just prefer to. I have done a lot of it over a lot of years
and am pretty well equipped to do it.
What I prefer is to have the tires off of the wheels for a day so I
can work on the rims. I like to chip off any heavy scale and wire
brush the beejeebers out of them while flooding them with a garden
hose to be sure the calcium is well washed off. Then I like to brush
on a really heavy coat of Rustoleum or the like. I like for that to
get good and dry before I put the tires back on. I like to wash the
tires well inside while they are off and wash the tubes if I reuse
them.
-
Like others, I prefer to leave the fluid out and ballast with cast
iron weights. I do however like filled tires on a tractor I bush-hog
with just because the weight is lower on the tractor and such mowing
chores tend to at times be on the most hilly ground or around ditches.
I'm switching tractors that I will be doing that with and I plan to
use antifreeze in those even though it will be a little lighter than
calcium.
It is not a huge factor but its also nice to not have filled tires on
tractors hauled to shows a lot.
-
I may put new tires on my TO-20 Ferguson this fall and put the old
ones on my VAC Case which is not currently a running tractor. That may
be because the engine is just a shell.  :-)   It will be a minor
putter tractor and a show tractor. The Fergie will be shown also but
it will do a lot of work as well. I want the better tires on  it since
with the 3 point I will be putting a lot more weight on them. I use it
a "lot" to move pallets and it will be feeding most of the logs to the
sawmill.
-
Back when we bought the Jubilee new (I wish we still had it) we
ordered it with filled tires and a pair of axle weights that mounted
between the fender and the wheel. I believe the dealer installed them
rather than the factory. The only trouble we had with those was that
you had to keep the mud cleared off of the top of them or when it
dried it could mess up a valve stem.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson