[Farmall] Oil for Cub Engine

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 15:14:02 PDT 2009

On Jul 20, 2009, at 6:03 PM, Mike Sloane wrote:

> A loose suction line could very well be the source of your problem
> (and
> it is a bugger to tighten that gland nut!).

Aye - that it is. I found that I could slide a ring spanner (box
spanner in American?) up over the pipe to the nut and then tighten it
pretty well with that 1/12 of a turn at a time, and hope that the
other end of the pipe remained in the right place for the strainer to
fit over - took only 2 attempts but I got it pretty tight on the
second attempt and lined up for the strainer.

> If you have that much slop in your rod bearings, I suggest that
> doing a
> tear-down is not really an option - running the tractor will only make
> things worse. If you absolutely have to keep running it, I suggest a
> pint of STP or "motor honey" with some 15W40 engine oil. It won't make
> things any worse, and it might prevent further damage. But you will
> have
> to get rid of it come really cold weather.

Well I don't "have" to use it, but probably will occasionally. Right
now is not a good time to be thinking of spending much money on this
very little used tractor though (my wife is the breadwinner and she
works in the teetering auto industry for GM), so I've already got it
back together, just awaiting what oil to use.

I measured 1 big end journal with a dial caliper (don't have a
micrometer alas) and it was 1.495 - as near as I could tell on two
different axis vertical and horizontal, so is .003-.004 undersize.
Maybe the slop isn't .010 - it's feelable by hand but I don't have a
way to measure it - should have bought some Plastigage at NAPA I
suppose.

> That is my opinion, and you did ask for it. :-)

Thanks :-)

Roger