[Farmall] International A died (and I am baffled)

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jul 1 08:36:24 PDT 2009

Burned points are often the result a bad condenser. Also, the quality of
the contacts currently being offered is nowhere near what it used to be.

I would be very concerned about the coil if there is no ballast resistor
- coils with internal resistors are the exception rather than the rule.

It may be time for a new coil in any case - the symptoms you described
previously certainly point in that direction.

I have gotten to the point where, when I am having ignition problems
with my IH (non magneto) gas tractors, I replace the coil and install a
Pertronix No. 1442 ignition module in place of the points and condenser.
While this is not a cheap solution, in *every* case it has eliminated
the recurring problems with burned points, hard starting, erratic
running, and loss of power. I got this note from another forum:
I recently purchased a Pertronix #1442 Electronic Ignition for $68.00
plus a little under $7.00 Shipping (they charge actual UPS cost) from
www.helmarparts.com. I received it in 2 to 3 days. Seems to be a good
company to deal with. Seemed like a pretty reasonable price and I just
wanted to pass the info along.
I have not dealt with this outfit, but that is a better price than most
Pertronix suppliers.

Mike