[AT] Polar Ice Caps

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 05:37:25 PST 2009

It will make a big improvement, Bob as long as you keep in mind the fire hazard and use good judgment with placement.  As Kevin points out, even a trouble light with a 75 or 100 watt bulb can do the job.  I did that for part of one winter about 10 years ago with an '86 Olds Delta.  It would crank fine, but below around +20 F, just would not fire off and run.  The trouble light under the hood did the trick.  I was driving that one through the winter to finish it off.  My wife had hit a deer with it and rumpled the front pretty bad.  After we replaced the car, I bought  body parts from the South and repaired it, so it was an "extra vehicle".  Driving one mile each way to work didn't require a great car, but it did have to start when needed.

Charlie in WNY

P.S.  Kevin,  I think the '56 Olds was quite a machine.  The nearest I came to that was a '56 Pontiac Star Chief that served me well for two or three years in the 1960's.  At that time work was 20 miles away so I was on pretty good terms with the gas station operator.  Now there is a memory.  The guy used to faithfully come out and pump your gasoline purchase and did not act like he was diong you a favor to interrupt his newspaper reading to take your money..