[Ford-ferguson] mail

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 15:48:51 PST 2009

Unless you have the smallest possible pulley on the alternator, your
Continental engine might not turn fast enough to start the alternator
charging. Sometimes you can speed the engine up all the way, and that
will start the charging. When they test the alternators at the parts
stores, they run them up to full speed, as if they were hooked up to a
modern car engine. What I did was ask at the parts store to trade
pulleys for a smaller one, and they had a whole box of loose (used)
pulleys behind the counter. Failing that, you could try for a smaller
pulley at an auto salvage establishment (what we old timers used to call
a junkyard).

Mike