[AT] Ford 8n Under Dash Resistor?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 13:57:02 PST 2009

The instructions that come with the Pertronix ignition are pretty
specific about the amount of resistance that you should see between the
ignition switch and the output of the coil (34 ohms is a number that
pops into my head, but I don't have the instruction sheet in front of
me). Since I was converting from a 6 volt system and keeping the 6 volt
coil, the dropping/ballast resistor is needed to provide the required
resistance to keep from burning out the coil.

I suspect my problem is that the resistor I am using has too much
resistance. I think my best route is to simply stop screwing around and
buy the Pertronix coil and dump the resistor and the (ancient) 6 volt coil.

Mike