[AT] How about this orange tractor, Attn: Travis

yestergears at intrstar.net yestergears at intrstar.net
Tue Feb 10 18:03:08 PST 2009

Wow!  I didn't know my comments would liven up the discussion!!  What I left out of the original post was this was actually TWO
differnet tractor dealers.  Having grown up on a farm and also been an electronic tech, I can see where there is no substitute for
technical knowledge and troubleshooting ability.  That comes from experience.  Some of the best mechanics I've known were old
timer     " shade tree" mechanics that everyone went to when they had a tough dog to chase.   The problem I can see for a tech would be
out thinking the computer, in other words, thinking you know what's wrong, without checking the computer.
 I personally ( this is Travis 1:1) don't see the day when a good mechanic will be replaced, maybe more like he can get the big bucks
for diagnosing fixing what the computer can't tell you about.
  CAT has already been to my son's high school ag class twice to talk about careers in diesel mechanics. That may change with the down
turn economically.

could) the first thing I thought about is how complex they are and how
expensive they would be to fix.  I'm pretty sure, knowing dealers in this
area, that the dealer told you exactly that.  I also agree with Steve O.
That ain't the way to fix them, unfortuneately that's the way a lot of car
and truck dealers (and probably tractor dealers) go about it.

Steve O,  I have a car dealer friend that owns dealerships for six different
brands that I know of, both domestic and foreign.  He told me several years
ago, " these computer cars are great until they break but no one can fix
them.  you need to trade them as soon as the warranty runs out".  I don't
agree with him but that's what he told me.

Charlie Hill