[AT] How about this orange tractor, Attn: Travis

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 10 17:55:05 PST 2009

Henry I've got a relatively low cost scan tool that runs on my laptop
computer.  Mine will read all the codes and give me things like oxygen
sensor voltage readings, etc.  What mine won't do is let me send commands to
the engine but it will show me cyl misfires and the like.

The problem I have with the shops is that they start off by replacing the
sensor, charging me for that and sending me down the road.  When I go back
the next day and tell them I still have the problem they don't offer to
refund the money for the sensor they then replace the control and charge me
for that.  A couple of trips and a few hundred dollars later they get around
to finding the vacuum leak or  bad ground.  I'm just speaking in general
terms but you get the idea.

Here is an example that is not really computer related but it'll drive the
point home.  My 90 year old mother recently took her 02 Pontiac to the
Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC truck dealer here in town.  The AC sometimes
wouldn't work.  They told here the fan motor was bad and replaced it.
Charged her a couple of hundred bucks.  A few days later she was back down
there with the same problem.  They checked it, let her sit there in the
waiting room half the day (for the second time in a week) and replaced the
switch.  They came out and apologized.  Told her it was a bad switch all
along and they would make up for it by not charging her for the switch.  Now
you tell me who came out on that deal?     Of course she didn't bother to
tell me about it until a month later.  The owners of that dealership are
friends of mine and I could have helper her out if she'd told me at the
time.  Well maybe not.  This is the same dealer who I asked to check for the
source of some condensation in the instument panel of my Buick LeSabre.
When I asked the service writer if they found the source of the condensation
he bowed up and said "THAT WASN'T CONDENSATION.  THAT WAS MOISTURE".     Yep
that's what he said.  Exact words.  I'll never forget it.  The car was in
the shop because the air conditioning smelled like dirty sweat socks and was
leaking water in the car.  The "condensation" was just part of the problem
that I wanted them to fix.  They worked on that 3 times under warranty.  The
last time they the service manager told me, with a straight face, that there
was a bulletin out on it and that they were putting a "delay relay" on the
AC fan motor so the fan would run after the car was shut off and dry out the
duct.  NO I'm not making this up.  They actually put a little box under the
hood with some wires running out of it into the heater/AC duct under the
hood.  I took it off myself later and still have it.  There's nothing in the
box. After a while it ceased to be funny so I drove the car over a ditch so
I could crawl under it and fixed what I knew was wrong with it to begin
with.  The rubber drain nipple in the bottom of the duct was stopped up.
Well actually it had gotten pushed in like a belly button instead of hanging
down under the car like it should.

This dealership runs a TV add where they brag about their wonderful service
dept that supposedly has about 40% of the ASCE Master Technicians in the
whole state of NC right here in this little town of 30,000.

Now tell me how a service dept that can't solve an A/C problem that has been
around for 30 years and any mechanic should find is going to diagnose an
engine problem with a computer?  They just throw parts at them until the
problem goes away and charge the customer for it.

I'm not kicking computer controls on cars or your equipment and I actually
think computer cars are much better than the old cars were but until they
teach the techs something it's all a waste.

Charlie