[AT] How about this orange tractor, Attn: Travis

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:56:24 PST 2009

David I have a good story about that.  I have an 89 GMC that I bought new
and have now put out to pasture.  When it was maybe 7 years old or so it
started to miss and buck when the cruise control was on.  I tried for some
time to find the problem and couldn't so I stopped using the cruise control.
Well in time it started to do the same thing without the cruise control.  I
still couldn't find the problem so I put a Jacobs ignition system on it.
That solved the problem for a while as well but after a time, probably 2
years from the start of the problem it started to run ragged again.  It
eventually got to the point that it was barely drivable.

Then I started looking very hard for the problem.  As you probably know 89
was in the beginning years of computer controlled stuff and was the OBD I
system which is much less involved than OBD II.   I bought aftermarket
manuals and started checking every sensor, voltage and ground I could find.
I never could find a problem.  I finally worked my way to the cruise control
system (where the problem began) but the aftermarket manuals didn't have any
cruise control information in them.  I was at a stopping point.  So, I went
to a small local dealer about 15 miles away.  I knew those guys and knew
that they had good mechanics.

When I went there I told the mechanic all that I had done and asked if he
had the specs for the cruise control system.  He said yeah had them in his
factory manual BUT he wanted to look for the problem his self.    We talked
about it and I understood why he wanted to retrace my steps.  He went to
work but he allowed me to go in the shop with him.  (that's why I chose that
shop).
I stayed out of the way and let him work.  He checked everything I had
checked and finally decided it was the ignition module so he replaced it.
The problem didn't go away so, to his credit, he took that part back off and
put it back in on his shelf.  Finally after an hour or so he got around to
checking the cruise control.  He took his volt meter and checked the
resistance between one of the lugs in the cruise control wiring harness and
the stud on the thremostat housing where a ground wire was attached.  He
looked at me and kind of said Hmmmmm.  Then he took his 9/16 wrench and
tightened that stud.  We drove it down the road and the problem was gone.
The stud was double nutted on the ground wire and that was tight but the
stud was about 1/4 turn loose in the intake.  Since that stud goes into the
water jacket some coolant had seeped up around the threads and it wasn't
reading the right resistance.  Problem solved.  I realized after the fact
that I had changed the thermostat just before the problem started a couple
of years before.   That ground wire is kind of short and it's hard to get
the stud tight and the double nut tight on the ground wire without twisting
the stud a bit and that's what happened.

As Farmer says,  check the grounds.  It blew the mechanics mind and I know
it probably doesn't make any sense to some of those reading this but I swear
to you it's fact.

Charlie