[AT] OT: Waltzing Matilda 9was Re: My Turn/Matilda

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Feb 6 14:03:24 PST 2009

 From Wikipedia:

waltzing
     derived from the German term auf der Walz, which means to travel
while working as a craftsman and learn new techniques from other masters
before returning home after three years and one day, a custom which is
still in use today among carpenters.[9]
Matilda
     a romantic term for a swagman's bundle. See below, "Waltzing Matilda."
Waltzing Matilda
     from the above terms, "to waltz Matilda" is to travel with a swag,
that is, with all one's belongings on one's back wrapped in a blanket or
cloth. The exact origins of the term "Matilda" are disputed; one
fanciful derivation states that when swagmen met each other at their
gatherings, there were rarely women to dance with. Nonetheless, they
enjoyed a dance, and so they danced with their swags, which was given a
woman's name. However, this appears to be influenced by the word
"waltz", hence the introduction of dancing. It seems more likely that,
as a swagman's only companion, the swag came to be personified as a woman.
     Another explanation is that the term also derives from German
immigrants. German soldiers commonly referred to their greatcoats as
"Matilda", supposedly because the coat kept them as warm as a woman
would. Early German immigrants who "went on the waltz" would wrap their
belongings in their coat, and took to calling it by the same name their
soldiers had used.