[AT] The last question I had on my list for December.

Gene Waugh GWaugh at wowway.com
Thu Dec 31 20:36:58 PST 2009

Where most of my baling experience was done, the terrain was flat enough
to pull a wagon directly behind the baler---but one of the highlights of
my youth was baling for a cousin's grandfather---hilly part of the
county, too small to bother with a wagon behind the baler.  We picked up
the bales with a team of horses pulling the wagon---what a treat!!!

He (the grandfather) was a widower; when his wife died, he just reverted
to the old ways.  This was the only time that I was actually in a field
working with horses.

I do remember, as a little kid, a draft horse or two at my grandfather's
farm, but they were no longer working.  The first tractor on this farm
was an unstyled JD G---1937, IIRC.  DAMN, I wish I had that tractor!
Farmer's theme is 'what we enjoyed the most'; "I became a MAN" on that
G; I  still remember the day I first managed to spin that freakin
flywheel enough---closed the compression petcock on one side,
jumped/crawled underneath and closed the other!  THAT was the day!!!

Gene---  these memories are wonderful!