[AT] The last question I had on my list for December.

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 31 19:16:18 PST 2009

Richard Strobel wrote:
> I'm not sure Francis..might have been 8 or 9N and it had the side mower.  I
> never did get to run it as that was his "Baby."  He'd put it (the mower) on
> in the spring and take it off in the fall.
>   The slip held about 30-32 bales and it was a nice slow ride to the
> elevator.  I'm sure glad they never used a wagon !!!!

We used a slip on the farm as it was not that far from the field to
shed.  It make bucking easy and I can still feel the bouncing and
swaying.  My uncle had a sawmill so we had lots of lumber for things
like that.

One neighbor I worked for had a two wheel trailer made from a long truck
bed and bomber tires.  It was about one bale high and an easy step from
the ground to the bed.  We could really load that trailer and it was
usually pulled behind his JD G.

The neighboe with the Super MTA had two fields about four miles from his
farm and used farm wagons.  Those were difficult to load from the first
bale on.  He had four wagons.  His city nephew from Des Moines and I
would buck the bales, he drove the H and I got the MTA.  I can tell you
that one person loading two wagons was a lot of work.  It was a good
thing I was 16 - 17 at the time.  Buck bales all day and spend the
evenings trying to spend that hard earned money on girls.  We had better
luck making money than with the girls.

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU