[AT] Shhhh! Quiet==electrical

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 31 04:37:28 PST 2009

That is a familiar situation, Larry, but ours was not as severe.  As a kid, our house with seven large rooms had it's original 30 amp electrical service  (115v only)  that was pretty much intended for lights only in the 19 teens. As I recall there were only two circuits, each with a screw in 15A fuse (often operating with a penny behind each). When I was six, Dad had a wood/coal fired forced air furnace installed. Within a year or two, we also got our first TV set, a 12 inch black and white Philco combination with am/fm radio and a record changer.  For years, every time the blower motor in the furnace was in startup, the tv picture would go black, or dim down and flip flop in several directions. When I sold the house nearly 50 years later, it was still running thru that same 30A service along with a couple of add on circuits that I installed as an adult to reduce some of the load on the main box.  One of these fed the furnace so the TV was no longer starved.

Charlie in WNY