[AT] Case D

Ron Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Tue Dec 29 07:33:32 PST 2009

Herb,
    I do believe it was later than 38.  I would guess more like 40-41.
It was streamlined and orange and did have starter and lights.  Started
with the crank mostly, though.  It did have a road gear, but not very
fast as I recall.  Maybe 9 or 10 mph.  I had a pair of chrome single bar
flipper hubcaps on it.  They flashed pretty good in road gear.  You
described the rear wheels/spacers as it was equipped.  This old girl had
knobby tires on the rear and I don't recall the size, but I would guess
38".  It was never used for any row-crop work, so we didn't change
anything.  It was used for some disking and harrowing and manure
spreader duty.  During silo filling it was used on the belt powered
blower until its demise.  That tractor was probably around the farm for
the period of 1954-6.  No one liked it at our place.  It was replaced
with a John Deere 70.  The 70 went on the silage cutter and the M
Farmall moved from the cutter to the blower.  The wheel spacers were
around for the next 30 years at least.  Used as weight on a chain to
hold a gate shut.  I haven't seen them now in a long time.  I bet the
iron guys got them.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA