[Farmall] Detergent vs non-detergent oil? Use toilet paper!

edgreany-home at yahoo.com edgreany-home at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 08:29:00 PST 2009

Barney,

I would be very careful switching from non-detergent oil to a detergent oil. The detergent oil will clean up your engine all right but it will tend to wash even areas that you may not wish to have TidyDity-Bowl clean. This process will probably increase your oil-burning and thus smoking exhibition too. This is no different than switching oil types in your car or truck from non-D to detergent oil. You're going to begin burning oil if the engine has been run for many years/miles before. On the other hand, you probably need the overhaul done but it will be sooner rather than later.

At the risk of offending anyone for creating spam, I am going to describe a type of product which I happen to market so please hit your <DELETE> button now if you are offended by commercial suggestions. I only mention it because it fits the conversation appropriately.

Ed

Unfortunately, the stock oil filter is very inefficient in the Farmall. Back "in the day" it was very low-tech. Actually, many machines didn't even have oil filters on automobiles until the mid to late 30's and some even into the 50's (like Chevy and Ford). The owner simply changed the oil more often and dumped the oil. Others, added a filter such as the "Oil Refiner" which used rags, cotton, and other materials to filter that black stuff. Cartridge oil filters soon found a market and engineering the filter on the Farmall was no different. The problem with cartridge filters is that they also are not efficient for filtering oil. I'm not going to even get into what a diesel creates in your oil pan but that is nasty stuff!

A man by the name of John Frantz invented the Frantz Oil Cleaner in the 50's and I am a distributor for that product. The filter uses a roll of toilet paper as the filter element. Yes, that's right - toilet paper. After 60-some years later, there has never been a report of anyone's engine being harmed by this filter. I run one on ALL my vehicles including my brand new truck and on my Kubota tractor (diesel). I haven't put one on my Farmall because I just use it occasionally to putt around with on my 3.5 acres in the desert removing baby tumbleweeds trying to get a start. I should add one and probably will to also save dumping that oil too. I guess out of sight; out of mind comes into play here so I am guilty for preaching and not doing what I preach to the Farmall.

Anyway, here's where I think I can get away with this posting that removes it somewhat from being in the spam category. I don't care if you use the Frantz brand or another brand but my point is to use a filter than utilizes toilet paper as your filter element. Using a typical car as an example, you can look up your car's filter on line (I use NAPA Filters) and find your equivalent filter for your particular engine but the NAPA (or other) brand. It will give you the micron rating for that filter. Most often, it will be somewhere around 19-21 with exceptional readings of in the 30s. The difference is the Frantz filter will filter down to only 1 micron or smaller simply because toilet paper is the filter element.

Use the filter as a by-pass filter in addition to the stock filter on the "H". By using a second (bypass) filter, a portion of the circulating oil flow through the bypass filter cleaning it some 20 times as clean as the stock filter. It will do this by filtering several gallons of oil per hour. Over a period of time, ALL the oil will have been bypassed and the oil is like new. Toilet paper filters will remove about 6 ounces of water condensation or vapor from the oil also but does not remove any additives. Of course, remember, non-detergent should not have much in the way of additives anyway. In short order, the inside of your engine will be nice and clean - shiny clean if it were shiny originally. It will lack the sludge and grimy oil you will find present when you remove the pan. All you need do is change the roll of toilet paper often when first introducing the Frantz Filter to your engine so it can work harder to clean your engine. Once clean, just
 change it every 3000 miles on a vehicle and for a tractor or stationary engine convert miles to hours using 30 miles as the hourly mileage factor. You can change the stock filter once a year if you wish.

In one of my vehicles -my Suzuki Samurai- I have the same non-detergent oil in the engine from 2001 and you almost cannot see the oil on the dipstick it is so clean. It will do the same for your tractor too. Installation is extremely easy and no modifications to the Farmall engine is required to add a bypass filter (any brand).

Well, that's it. I hope it helps with your oil filtration needs. You can search the internet for these kind of products - they all will do the job. AMSoil is a big bypass oil filter source but a very expensive one. I welcome you to visit my own website at www.FRANTZOIL.com or call me and we can discuss your circumstance.

As a footnote, I have also seen owners use a pint of transmission fluid in the oil to try to wash the engine. Certainly do not use solvent oils like kerosene or turpentine. They will certainly create rings and/or babbit damage and possibly score the cylinder walls. I wish you good luck with your "H" as they are passed down from generation to generation. When will it possibly end? I think NEVER.

Regards,

Ed Greany