[AT] 8N Ford now F-20

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 23 04:41:07 PST 2009

> The F-20 we have NEEDS an ad-on gear or 5. I have driven it up to the
> farm from my fathers to the old farm (about 10miles) With the "high"
> gear it has in it that is ONE LONG TRIP....
>
> In high gear you can get off and jog around it without a problem. The
> only saving grace was that it had a wooden platform made across the
> drawbar so you didn't have to stay in the seat the entire way.
>
> --
> Steve W.

When I was a teenager, Dad bought a 1938 F-20 to replace the tired old regular.  That F-20 was equipped with factory 38" rear tires on cast wheels and a factory road gear (4Th).  It would not move as fast as fifth gear in the later M, but at 10-12 MPH, it was pretty fast for curvy farm lanes.  Just what I liked at that age.  As I recall, the shift pattern had the extra gear between the other two gears on the bottom side of the H pattern where the lever was pulled toward the driver.  It seems reverse and fourth were the two pushed forward positions, and the pulled back positions were 1, 3, and 2 in that order.  At any rate, that tractor was a real worker.

Charlie V. in WNY