[AT] IH square baler questions

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue Dec 22 15:10:55 PST 2009

Gene,  when I was still too young to pull (prime, crop, pick) tobacco I was
driving the tractor (trucking) when one of the "primers" (men breaking the
leaves) froze in his tracks and started to ..... I guess whimper is the word
for it.  We all looked and he was standing straddle of a coiled up
Cottonmouth.  The thing was just waiting for something to move so he'd know
where to strike (for those that don't live around poisonous snakes, pit
vipers are blind).  The other men went over near him, grabbed his arm and
his belt and snatched him away from the snake.   Then they beat the snake to
death with a tobacco stalk they pulled up and pulled the leaves off of.
That poor fellow was shaking like a leaf but he didn't get bit.

Charlie