[AT] Super A Idle Puzzle

Ben Wagner ben at olde-books.com
Mon Dec 21 17:02:50 PST 2009

Hello,

Since some of you kindly wanted me to ask any questions that come up
during the restoration of my 1948 Super A, I think I will take you up on
your offer! :-)

Here's the puzzle: I ran the tractor before I really tore her apart.
The engine works fine, but it won't idle.  I pull the throttle lever
back, but the throttle stays full open.  However, if I pull on the shaft
going to the carburetor from the governor, the engine will finally
idle.  As soon as I let go of the shaft, it throttles back up, almost
like it can't hold the throttle in idle.

A friend said that he thought it was in the "automatic idler," but I
have never heard of a part called this.

My guess is that either I am missing a spring that holds the throttle
shut, or there is something amiss with the governor.  I have the parts
book, but I can't see a missing part.  I appreciate any help any of you
can give!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Ben Wagner