[AT] My "realistic" old tractor plan--Al's leak

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 20 18:13:16 PST 2009

John,

I think what has happened is they did the old "pin punch" trick to make the
bearing hold tight.  Apparently they didn't do enough punches and it has
come loose.  The back wheel will "wobble" enough in the housing to work the
grease seal halfway out.  I think I am probably going to end up having to
have the housing welded up and re-bored where the bearing seats.  I won't
know for sure until it's apart but an old-time IH mechanic in our club
looked at it once and said he thought that was what was happening.

The axles were taken to a place in Greenville and spray welded and turned
back down, so there shouldn't be a problem with grooves where the seals run.

And to think I was worried I wouldn't have anything to do but sit back and
enjoy it when I got it all restored!

Al