[AT] Ford and Ferguson overdrive speeds

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Dec 17 15:24:08 PST 2009

Don't forget that, while the Sherman changes the Ford's ground speed, it
also impacts the PTO speed at the same time. The Howard two-speed rear,
on the other hand, drops the ground speed while keeping the PTO speed
the same.

I have a 2N with both a Sherman (straight through plus low) and a
Howard, giving me the equivalent of a 12 speed transmission  - with the
both the Howard and the Sherman engaged in 1st gear, the tractor barely
moves. :-) But I understand it was a great setup for rotary tilling with
the Howard Rotovator that came with the tractor. I also have a Farmall
Cub with a Howard two speed rear and a Howard Rotovator, and I will say
that it does a fine job.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/howard4.html#media>

Mike