[AT] Can you name the first three tractors you drove?

B C jd2cyl at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 14 08:49:24 PST 2009

  I was born and raised on a dry wheat farm in south central Saskatchewan up here in Canada.

I too started at 8 years old by standing on the platform in front of my seated father on our 1944 Massey Harris 44 gas standard pulling an 8 foot "one-way" with trip lift doing summerfallow. By "dinner" time at noon my father figured I could handle it on my own and allowed me to carry on without him. I'm sure he was a keeping an eye on  me from the farm yard. BTW my older brother still has this 44 on the same farm today - not used much though.

  From there I graduated at about 11 or 12 years old into driving our hand start styled "D" (not sure of the year) pulling a two bottom Oliver trip plow breaking virgin prairie sod on a section of land (640 acres)that my Dad bought from the Provincial Government for $1.00 an acre. That kept my brothers and me busy for about three years off and on which included many hours of rock picking pulling a stone boat behind the 44.

 At about 15 years old my Dad added a JD R to the fleet with which we pulled a 16' cultivator to do our summerfallowing with. This model is still one of my favourite tractors and although I have no idea where this one is I do have one to play with.

Eric
Kelowna,BC