[AT] Best way to prevent diesel gel

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 13 10:23:25 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dick Day" <ddss at telebeep.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Best way to prevent diesel gel

> I'll pass this on, thanks.  I treat my 55-gallon drum, as well as the tank
> on the New Holland and, so far this year, have had no problems.
>
> Mine is stored in an enclosed building, my friend's Agco is parked under a
> lean-to.  Would that make enough difference to cause gelling?

An engine exposed to the wind is going to get a lot colder and therefore
more chance of diesel gelling . Mine are all kept indoors and I also install
a cardboard side shield to protect the fuel filters from direct wind and
hopefully benefit from a little engine heat too. For my Massey Super 90 I
mix fuel much like I used to for snowmobiles. Take a 5 gallon container and
add the prescribed amount of diesel anti-gel additive, pump in the diesel
fuel so it mixes and then pour into the tractor tank. It ran fine at -20 F
(closer to -40 with the wind chill factor) yesterday.

Ralph in Sask.