[AT] Best way to prevent diesel gel

Rupert rwenig2 at xplornet.com
Sun Dec 13 10:05:45 PST 2009

	Good point Ernie. But who reads the manual. I'm as guilty as the next
person. The manual says what grade of fuel to use for different climates
(temperatures). Those that don't know about the different grades for
diesel fuel might like to read up on it. I include a few links for your
enjoyment.
	<http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14264/css/14264_159.htm>
<http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/fuel.php>
<http://www.astm.org/Standards/D975.htm>
	I have seen stove oil (lighter diesel fuel)used in very cold climates
such as the high arctic.
<http://www.rrcoop.com/product_pdfs/2007SPEC/Stove_Furnace_Spec.pdf>

	Dick. A tight uninsulated building can be 10-20 degrees warmer than an
open shelter. Insulation helps too. The think to remember about storing
a diesel tractor in a warmer building is it will start and run fine
until you move it outside and drive away when it is cold. I got caught
on this once when it was around -20F in a blizzard condition. I had what
we call summer diesel in the tank at the time. The tractor I had
recirculated the excess diesel that the injection pump didn't need back
to the tank. I assumed that the recirculation warmth would stop the
gelling but it didn't. Took me a day with a tarp and a stove to warm the
tank and fuel system enough to drain it so I could put winter fuel into
it. There were no additives that would have changed the characteristics
of the summer diesel so it wouldn't gel.

	My $0.02 for what it's worth.

Rupert